(I acknowledge, in advance, that my idea involves risks to U.S. servicemen and women that may be greater than those in a war.)
- The entire country of Iraq becomes a "no fly" zone. Any non-authorized military or civilian aircraft will be warned away, to land immediately or will be destroyed.
- The U.S. military, with whatever help is offered by other countries will occupy a "section" of Iraq. How big a section is depends on the resources available. No travel of any kind will be allowed into or out of the section for the duration of the operation.
- U.N. weapons inspectors will be granted access to any and all facilities within the section they wish. Any resistance to the access will be met with deadly force.
- Any weapons or materials found within the section that are in breach of the U.N. resolutions will be impounded for destruction.
- When a section is inspected to the satisfaction of the U.N. inspectors, another section will be similarly secured. While travel out of a section that has been inspected will be allowed, no travel into the section will be permitted.