The U job offers me less money than Prime was offering but has several advantages outside of money:
- It is 1.8 miles from my house, as the bike rides or bus goes, as opposed to 13.2 miles as the car drives.
- While benefits are roughly similar, the U also offers the opportunity for free classes.
- It offers significantly greater responsibility in the work I'll be doing.
- It is likely to be more layoff-proof.
- The work atmosphere is decidedly laid back and casual.
- (Newly discovered today:) I'll have a Mac as my main desktop machine.