Peter Hentges (jbru) wrote,
Peter Hentges

I can see clearly now

But that wasn't the case for most of the weekend. Early Saturday morning, as I dozed peacefully, my puppies got themselves into all kinds of trouble. The crowning achievement was to take the glasses you see in my userpic and mangle them beyond recognition.

All I was able to retrieve from the treatment they received was a single lens. The frames were bent in ways that they should not be bent. Any piece of plastic was removed from the frames and doubtless consumed by my eager pups.

So I spent most of Saturday sleeping. Being unable to watch TV, surf the net, read or most anything else I do for entertainment or distraction, I was left to sit about, contemplate the fuzzy walls and nap on and off.

This led to some rather interesting dreams. There was the one with the vampires, werewolves and sorcerers. Another that involved giving the puppies a bath. Yet a another that had some weirdness with my parents moving in with me and having to give my sister a ride to school. A lot of dreams and a lot of dreams that I remembered.

By the time I found someone to take me to a Lenscrafters (where I'd purchased the lamented pair of glasses) and was sufficiently awake to get there, it was a little after 3:00 p.m. I discovered, to my amazement, that I'd purchased those frames in 2003 and, further, that glasses prescriptions expire after two years. So they could not legally give me a new pair of glasses that day.

I scheduled an appointment with the attached optometrist for the following day and arranged a ride there and back again.

I was amazed when Sunday rolled around at the way this optometrist's office conducted my examination. Two technicians first ran me through a battery of tests on largely computerized machines. The first set seemed to be basic visual acuity, testing peripheral vision and the fun little air-puffing test that, if I recall correctly, tests for glaucoma. Next, a technician set me in front of that big gizmo with all the knobs and dials that eye doctors use but rather than manipulating them herself, entered values into a computer that then adjusted the various lenses. When she was done, she printed something out and took me to the final examination room. There, she transferred her printed readings to the manual gizmo and I waited for the doctor.

The doctor came in, took a few readings, tested a few options and seemed to be basically fine-tuning what the technician had already discovered. He wrote up my prescription and I was done with him in about five minutes.

A stop at the store to pick out some frames as best I could (pics to come) and an outing for lunch later and I had new frames and lenses.

I must say that initially I was a bit disappointed. I mean, I was seeing the world fuzzily for a day and half. Now I could see it clearly again. I would have thought you people would have cleaned the place up a bit.

I got back home by about 5:00 p.m., made sure all the mammals were fed, took a shower and got some sleep. It's back to the work-a-day grind now. I'm glad to be able to see well enough to be here!

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

  • 1 comment