June 25th, 2007
|12:35 am - When inspiration strikes|
What I want to do, right this minute, is go out and start a restaurant/bar. Things it would have:
I'm thinking I'd like to walk down to work in the morning where someone would already be baking the bread for that evening. It would be open for dinner with the earliest reservations at 7:00 p.m. Each reservation would have ample time to eat and relax so scheduling would be akin to planning programming for a small con each night.
- a bar with seven stools
- a dining room with seven tables
- three fixed menus nightly; one vegetarian/vegan, the other two cycling through various other options (seafood/beef one night, chicken/lamb another, etc.)
- top-notch bar stock including a stellar wine cellar
- dishes made with the freshest, best ingredients; local when possible
- sumptuous atmosphere complemented by skilled, attentive service
Each day the staff and I would prepare the menus, likely working several days in advance to allow for acquiring the necessary components. Each menu would be centered around a theme, be it an aperitif, a dessert, an ingredient. The meal would be seven courses built to highlight that theme. If, for example, the theme was a particular wine then each course might bring out some aspect of that wine's character centering on a main course that complemented it perfectly but even the dessert should remind the diner of the wine's finish.
I feel very certain that it would be a spectacular, beautiful, wonderful failure. I almost want to have it run for seven weeks (to stay in theme here) as a limited engagement. More art production than restaurant.
Current Mood: excited
I think you could write a grant proposal for it as a performance art piece!
You'd probably have to include some wacky way of getting the inspiration for the themes.