Got up the next morning to discover that the Tivo has not been making its daily calls since we had weird phone things back on Wednesday. It reported no dial tone and so I did the diagnostic bits of unplugging phones and other devices and then checking for tone with a trusty corded phone. Everything was fine on my end. Tone from the jack, tone from the line at the Tivo. Just didn't want to connect. Went to the web site and ran through their suggestions (restarting the machine, changing some dialing config, etc.). Finally decided to call and got routed to Sony (as that is the model of Tivo I have). Got past the first guy who basically was the idiot checker, asking me all the same questions I'd asked myself before calling. Got passed on ("escalated to Level 2") and spent the next hour and a half on hold. When the cordless phone's batteries started to die, I hung up and called back on a corded phone. I was quite firm with the tech support people in that I was quite happy to be transferred to whereever they wanted to transfer me, but they must not drop the call until I was talking to a live human being. After being passed around a bit, someone grokked it and stayed on hold with me for the next half hour until the next tech picked up the phone. (I felt kinda bad as I was watching the Twins beat the Mariners in Saturday night's game while waiting. Poor slob on the other end musta been so bored.)
So after answering a couple of questions, they basically decided that I needed to send in the unit to repair it. Since it is out of warranty, this will be a flat fee of $150, plus shipping.
Since a brand-new unit would be $400 or so (probably could find it on sale) I figured I'd take a look at options of simply replacing the modem myself. I'm a fairly handy guy and have done simple upgrades on my computers before. Besides, cracking the case (which would void my warranty, Oh No!) would give the opportunity to add another drive to increase recording capacity.
So I dug around on the net and discovered that I'm apparantly not the only one with this problem. Seems that the Tivo software was upgraded to version 3.0 and myself and at least two others are having the same modem problem. Now, it could be a rash of power spikes to the modems. I'm going to give it a couple of days as I search for other information before going further.