?

Log in

No account? Create an account
The strength meme - Peter Hentges

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile

September 3rd, 2003


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
10:25 am - The strength meme
If the shower meme was named because its originator thought of it in the shower, this one should be named the bed meme because I thought of it in bed. It gets its name, however, from the Upward Bound project I participated in my sophomore and junior years in high school. One of those years, one of the instructors had us do what she called "strength bombardments." Over the course of the project, each person in the class would have a turn and the others would take turns calling out good things about that person. At the end, each person had a big flip-chart page with all these things that others that were good about you.

Your task, if you should choose to accept it, is to go through your friends list (in alphabetical order) and write at least three short, declarative sentences describing good qualities about the person. You don't have to do them all at once, but don't skip anyone. (You don't have to do communities or rss feeds unless you are inspired.)

90_percent_sure makes me laugh.
90_percent_sure has done a great job raising her boy.
90_percent_sure is a helpful friend.

anney is very brave for trying new things.
anney cares about her family a lot.
anney has a sunny attitude that makes me smile.

cakmpls is another mom that makes me hopeful about the next generation.
cakmpls's home is comfortable and welcoming.
cakmpls is always willing to lend a hand.

daedala has many great book suggestions.
daedala is making cool quilts.
daedala makes lovely and delicious food.

davidschroth is a calming influence.
davidschroth can lift heavy things and does so often to help out.
davidschroth does many quiet things to assist others that often go unnoticed.

When I think of dreamshark, I hear her laugh.
dreamshark always seems interested in other people.
dreamshark dresses to let you know how fabulous she is.

drewan is recently married to a loving husband.
drewan looks hot in suspenders.
drewan has the greatest gadgets.

elisem still has nice tits.
elisem has a strong sense of the silly, the sacred and where they overlap.
elisem gives good chat.

envoy remembered to send me a postcard from London.
envoy has the strength to go his own way.
envoy is one of the few people for whom I can use "fuck you" as a greeting.

More later. Back to bed with me.
Current Mood: hopefulhopeful
Current Music: Castles in the air--The Hoodoo Gurus--Ampology (Disc 2)

(5 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:cakmpls
Date:September 3rd, 2003 09:54 am (UTC)
(Link)
I don't think I can do this meme, because some of the people on my Friends list are people I don't really know--I just like their writing. (Well, that's one thing, but what would I do for the other two?)

cakmpls is another mom that makes me hopeful about the next generation.
cakmpls's home is comfortable and welcoming.
cakmpls is always willing to lend a hand.


Thank you. My first reaction was "Gee, I sound--boring." Then I realized that this is what I've consciously, deliberately chosen to be and to do, and you are giving me verification that someone--and specifically someone outside the family--thinks I'm doing a good job of it. Very cool.
[User Picture]
From:jbru
Date:September 3rd, 2003 03:03 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I don't think I can do this meme, because some of the people on my Friends list are people I don't really know--I just like their writing. (Well, that's one thing, but what would I do for the other two?)

I thought of that and figured that people would likely be able to either come up with more than one thing about a person's writing that attracted them enough to add them as a friend or that they'd be able make a fairly superficial comment that was still positive. For example:

cakmpls has a cute user icon!

... you are giving me verification that someone--and specifically someone outside the family--thinks I'm doing a good job of it. Very cool.

That's one of the things I liked about this exercise when I was in high school. It often highlighted aspects of a person that reflected choices they'd made but didn't think were noticeable.
[User Picture]
From:davidschroth
Date:September 3rd, 2003 12:34 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Thanks tremendously much.

Both for the nice words directed at me, and for the extremely true things you've written about our mutual friends.
[User Picture]
From:anney
Date:September 3rd, 2003 04:56 pm (UTC)

My name in lights!

(Link)
Thanks for the compliments, they are all wonderful. But do you say I'm brave for moving out of state?
[User Picture]
From:jbru
Date:September 4th, 2003 04:01 am (UTC)

Re: My name in lights!

(Link)
You're welcome.

Brave partially for your move. (Away from family, only knowing one person, completely different culture; yeah, pretty brave that.) But also for the way you've done other things that are different for you over the last year. Coming to the pool party where you didn't know anyone, for example.

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com